Facing the Great Unknown

Facing the Great Unknown

Friday, July 11, 2008

A Sumer Rain

Last night at about 11 PM there was a thunder and lightning storm of great beauty. Almost continuous rumblings of thunder and lightning leaping from cloud to cloud. Enough rain began to fall to call me from my bed to close the car windows and cover the horses hay. Primo and Sheeba were running around their corral in near panic. Slowly the storm moved off to the Southwest. The air was left cool and moist. The Desert was refreshed.

This morning I woke at 5 PM and knew that I had to go for a walk in the Desert. I wanted to take advantage of the cool air and damp ground to begin to break in a new pair of moccasins. And, to commune with the revitilized spirit of nature. Out into the Desert while the Sun was just breaking over the horizon. The ground was scrubbed free of any tracks. The leaves of the bushes washed clean of dust. The air so deliciously cool that I had to put on a pair of jeans and a long sleved shirt. My backpack and Native American style flute over my shoulders and the ground passing beneth my feet. Over the ridge and into the hills beyond.

No comments: